Tips for a Mold-free Restaurant
Mold spores are abundant in our environment, but problems develop when they get inside your building and find damp places to grow and reproduce. Sometimes you smell mold before you see it, as the release of mycotoxins from the digestive process is what makes that familiar musty smell. The constant cooking and washing in a restaurant increases opportunity for mold growth, but you can take steps to reduce your risk through inspect, maintenance and cleanliness. Really, there are two main categories to manage for mold risk in your restaurant: food and building.
Since mold spores are all around the environment, it's important to take additional precautions to protect food from mold growth. Here are a few things you can do to keep the food safe in your restaurant in Dunwoody, GA.
1. Buy quality food and check it for signs of mold
2. Use plastic wrap to cover any food that is out for prep or serving
3. Refrigerate unused foods quickly into clean containers and cover tightly
4. Mold can grow in the refrigerator so use leftovers in 3-4 days before mold has a chance to grow
Maintain the Building
A restaurant presents additional moisture problems because of the kitchen environment. Kitchen space is packed tight with equipment and ventilation is often challenging resulting in high humidity. It's important to check frequently for problems and maintain equipment. Here are some places to pay attention to and to keep clean.
1. Use ventilation systems as well as heating and air conditioning systems to keep humidity levels under 40%
2. Maintain ventilation hoods and duct work for cleanliness and proper function
3. Keep all rags and sponges clean and dry, if anything smells musty throw it out
4. Regularly clean the refrigerator, including rubber casings, with a baking soda solution (1 tablespoon per quart of water)
5. Check for leaks and water damage around plumbing
When you do have mold growth, you can count on professional remediation specialists who cleanup mold using special equipment and methods that contain the area and preventing further spread of spores in your restaurant. For more information, visit http://www.SERVPROnwdekalbdunwoodybrookhaven.com/.