If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (770) 396-3883

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

3 Reasons Not to Bleach Mold

11/26/2018 (Permalink)

Why SERVPRO 3 Reasons Not to Bleach Mold Mold damage in Chamblee,GA

Avoid using Chlorine or Oxygen Formulas To Clean Up Mold

Business owners or tenants who spot mold growing in a commercial property may consider using bleach for fungus cleanup. This method is not the most effective way to eliminate the presence of mold and prevent colonies from returning. Here are three reasons to avoid using either chlorine or oxygen formulas for the purpose of cleaning up mold.

1. It Cannot Eliminate Mold in Porous Materials

The ionic structures of these cleaning solutions are incapable of penetrating porous materials. For this reason, chlorine and oxygen solutions are not suitable for eliminating mold from carpet, drywall, or upholstery.

Bleach is useful for sanitizing non-porous surfaces, but it will not eliminate the root structure of mold growth. If the conditions that allowed mold to grow persists, colonies are likely to return in spite of fungus cleanup efforts.

2. It Is Corrosive

A chlorine-based cleaning solution is very harsh and corrosive. This cleaning solution is known to irritate the eyes, skin, and lungs. This formula can also irreparably damage delicate fibers and cause other materials to deteriorate. Furthermore, it may produce harmful dioxins.

Oxygen-based formulations do not contain phosphorous or nitrogen and are natural, biodegradable, and less likely to cause deterioration. Even though these solutions may be preferable to chlorine, neither substance is the best choice for dealing with mold. These solutions are also not suitable for use on metallic surfaces.

3. It Quickly Loses Strength

A sealed bottle of this cleaning solution can lose up to 50% of its effectiveness while sitting on a shelf for only 90 days. Oxygen-based products may be more useful for deodorizing and killing bacteria and fungi, but these formulations lose effectiveness even more quickly than chlorine solutions.

These are just three reasons not attempt to use any form of bleach to clean up mold. For the most effective fungus cleanup results, contact mitigation and restoration professionals based in Chamblee,GA.

Other News

View Recent Posts