Helping People Rebuild After a Natural Disaster
When Mother Nature unleashes her fury in North Atlanta, GA, a catastrophic loss is an unimaginable situation no one wants to find themselves in. Unfortunately, flooding or storm damage can devastate an entire community. While at first it may seem that recovery is impossible, SERVPRO’s Disaster Recovery Teams are ready to mobilize to help people rebuild and get back to normal life.
Safety before, during and after the storm is vital. Once it subsides and everyone is safe, a first inclination may be to access the damage while waiting for help to arrive. Before doing so, consider the following to ensure everyone’s safety:
- Stay up to date on the latest news. Some areas may not be safe to travel through. Tap water may also be contaminated.
- Structural damage or gas leaks are likely outcomes when there is a catastrophic loss.
- Do not enter any structures until it has been verified safe to enter.
- Electrical hazards should be a top concern. Along with downed power lines, if water has entered the home, it may have affected electrical circuits and equipment. If safe to do so, turn the power off at the main source.
- Any kind of flooding can result in black water. It is best to avoid any standing waters. Wear protective clothing, goggles, boots and gloves if you decide to enter the water.
After the professionals arrive and a property has been deemed safe to enter, cleanup and rebuilding can happen. In large loss situations, the process can take time. SERVPRO’s disaster teams are elite, highly trained and experienced professionals who will make the process go as smooth as possible. They will provide the assessment, cleanup and restoration services needed in the fastest amount of time possible to make the disaster a distant memory.
As its name implies, a catastrophic loss can suddenly turn your world upside down. No matter the type of disaster, remember that you aren’t alone. Disaster specialists will quickly arrive to help you through the process.